The Community Training Institute offers Garment Construction Training to the general public which includes: Basic Sewing, Design, Pattern-Making, and Tailoring Techniques are taught by Industry Experts.
The Community Training Institute Offerings:
1) Design & Sewing Classes/Workshops for General Public:
These classes at SoHarlem are best suited for:
- The sewer: interested in learning reading patterns,understanding pattern pieces and working on
specialized industrial machines.
- The pattern maker: to learn the basics of draping, flat pattern making and muslin making.
- The designer: who wants to go beyond the basic from draping to completing a first sample.
- The novice: who wants to basic sewing techniques for their own use.
Please click here to learn more about our industry experts and trainers.
Register Today By Clicking Here.
2) Garment Construction Training
SoHarlem's commitment is to develop a workforce that can be gainfully employed in the garment construction industry. We offer this program to local community residents in need of training and employment.
All applicants are interviewed and vetted for the Community Training Institute and for possible scholarships. The program is ideal for individuals with minimal or zero training skills in sewing but who care about learning this trade to become gainfully employed in the garment construction business.
Local residents who successfully complete the training program have the opportunity to become paid Apprentices in the Designers' Studio. Currently, our Garment Construction classes for the local community are filled. If you are interested in being placed on our interview list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 212-222-2792 for further information.